Sunday, July 15, 2012

Whose country is it?

 

"Florida finally got Federal permission - read "Obama finally allowed it" - to access Federal data regarding illegal immigrants.

Why does Florida want the information?

To purge illegal immigrants from its voter registration lists.

According to tv "news" talking heads, the majority of names on the illegals list are Hispanic, and purging illegals will upset the state's Hispanic population.

Oh my.

I have serious doubts that South Florida's Hispanic population will be much up in arms, protesting this politically incorrect action. A goodly portion of them at least claim to be strong conservatives who should want to assure only legal residents can vote.

I'd like to lay the illegal immigrants problem on Obama's door. It DOES belong at a door of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, and Obama has played his role in increasing illegal immigration and illegal voting registration.

It occurs to me, however, that it was Republicans who promoted "motor voter registration" with minimal proof of citizenship requirements.

It was Republican administrations - including the Conservative's model, Ronald Reagan - that gave blanket citizenship to some illegals and put other illegals on a "fast track" to citizenship, ahead of people who legally hope to immigrate to the United States.

It is easier to register to vote than it now is to get a Florida driver's license. When I next renew my Florida license I'm informed I will have to show my birth certificate. My U.S. passport won't do. (Excuse me, we have a man in the White House who stonewalled the country for years - years - before producing what some believe is a phony birth certificate. )

My U.S. passport, combined with my DD214 showing I served my country, is not enough. That is more than the incumbent of 1600 Pennsylvania can do and it's more than many, perhaps most, of today's elected officials can do. A local Congressman, Rep. Allen West (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allen_West) is an exception.

Trouble is, purging the roles of illegal immigrants is not politically correct.

These people broke the law - several times - so they deserve the right to influence how the country is run.

They broke the law by their illegal entry.

They broke the law by lying when they registered to vote.

I don't care if the illegals are Hispanic or British or Israeli - and we have far too many illegals from Israel - of Vietnamese or ... pick a nationality.

Having lived overseas, I know things are better in the U.S. I know the economies of many Latin American countries are worse than in the U.S. And I know that if the quota system still is in place - this is the system that sent many Jews, Roma, and others to their deaths at the hands of the nazis - it needs to be scrapped or at least revisited in light of 2012. Why should Brits, whose country has as high a standard of living as the U.S., be given preference to immigrate?

I've no complaint about immigrants; my great-grandparents were immigrants; my wife is an immigrant. I DO have a problem with ILlegal immigrants.

Not only do they take up space in our citizen-paid schools and fill our charity hospital beds, many also help fill our jails since the "American way" is not their way. Muslims, for example, seem to have no problem with honor killings - a daughter is raped and her family kills her - not the rapists who in the end go free - but the victim!

It's nice that some of the illegals otherwise behave as good citizens, and I have a little empathy for the children of illegals who were brought here in infancy and know no other home.

But illegal still is illegal.

Purging the voter registration roles is a good first step.

The Feds - INS, FBI, Homeland Security - need to follow up and arrest the people purged from the roles not just for illegally entering the U.S., but for lying about their citizenship status to voter registrars. I suspect that, given the way the Feds protect their rights, local law enforcement would be prevented from making the arrests.

It happened before Obama's watch. It continues under Obama's watch. They only difference is that Obama's administration made serious efforts to protect the illegals voting "rights," rights to which they were not, are not, entitled.

It's time America's citizens, native and naturalized, take their country back.

We should welcome LEGAL immigrants.

We should welcome - and control - everyone who enters the country on any limited-duration visa - students, visitors, temporary workers.

For a Jewish perspective on immigration, legal and illegal, I recommend A Torah Perspective on National Borders and Illegal Immigration at
http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/1898474/jewish/A-Torah-Perspective-on-National-Borders-and-Illegal-Immigration.htm. The authors carefully cite their authorities.