Wednesday, July 11, 2012

No candidate worth my vote

 
I am a fiscal conservative and social liberal.
That is not an oxymoron.
I am not a fan of the incumbent at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.
BUT
Let's think about "Obamacare."
I am against "Obamacare" for one reason and one reason only: it was rammed down our throats before anyone KNEW what was in the bill. The president and his toadies were sneaky, and that's the nicest thing I can say about him and his groupies.
As a nation we are one of the least taxed on earth.
As a nation we still are one of the richest, most productive on earth. Granted China owns too much of our wealth, but that can be changed.
We NEED social welfare programs.
Social welfare programs cost money.
Education is a "social welfare program."
Indigent care is a "social welfare program."
Libraries are a "social welfare program."
Ditto Head Start, VISTA, and a wealth of other programs.
Yes, Social Security and Medicare also are "social welfare programs," but these programs were supposed to be funded by the people receiving benefits from those programs. I paid Social Security taxes my entire working life - and that started at age 14. I paid into Medicare since its inception.
My local taxes have gone to fund libraries, schools, medical facilities, police and fire services, and too many boards and committees to name.
I have received a return on my investment, an "ROI."
Now "Obamacare" has been declared to be a "tax."The Supremes said so.
Fair enough. Let it be a tax.
I'm willing to help fund not only health care for those who cannot fund it for themselves, I also am willing to help retrain people to find jobs to get them off the dole; to provide suitable work clothes - perhaps not Armani suits, but an off-the-rack suit from J.C. Penny or Sears - pity S&K Men's Ware went out of business.
If I am a small businessman - I have friends who fall into that category - I would be hard pressed to provide my few employees with health insurance. I would expect my employees to fund their own coverage. If I have to pay for it, I may as well close up shop. End result: Several more people on the dole.
So if I am asked to pay a bit more in taxes - say from 28 percent to 30 percent - I don't think I would complain.
At the same time, I want everyone who can kick a little into the kitty to contribute to that kitty. If the person is a hamburger flipper making minimum wage - a long way from the $1-an-hour when I got out of the Flyin' Corps - let that person kick in at least few bucks from every paycheck ; again, raise the flipper's taxes by 2 percent.
At the same time, let's end the inequality of the wealthy.
I'm a life-long Republican, but the GOP's protection of the rich - in this case we're talking about incomes of $250,000 a year and more - need to pay a fair share of the tax burden - getting a legal tax break, as Mitt Romney does, needs to be revisited and the fairer across-the-board tax needs to replace it.
I don't want to DISCOURAGE anyone from making "Big Bucks," and if someone is making an honest million a year, good for that person. But TAX ALL INCOME; no exemptions carved out by the people who already have all the exemptions.
I am getting Vote-for-Me mail (and email) from GOP candidates all promising to work to defeat Obamacare, to balance the budget, to make the world right.
I WANT a healthcare program.
If the GOP wants to balance the budget, beside cutting out the pork and perks, it should work to revise the tax laws.
Unfortunately, there is no party for a fiscal conservative who also is a social liberal.
Right now it seems we are locked in a political war of extremists. If this continues, it will destroy the country.
Parts of "Obamacare" certainly are good for the country - call it a tax or call it what you will.
The problem is the way a sneaky executive - let's start with the birth certificate that didn't show up until way after the election; who apparently thinks, perhaps knows, that his bills won't withstand scrutiny - goes about the business of his office.
Will Mitt Romney be better? Given his reluctance to share his tax information, one has little hope of an improvement if he is elected.
I have no candidates worthy of my vote in November.
That's sad.