Thursday, August 23, 2018

Opuscula

In the dark

ALTHOUGH OF I AM BETWEEN a ripe old age and showing strength1 I normally sleep through the night.

There was a time, when I was 20 or so years younger, that I would awaken between 2 and 3 a.m., the proper time for תיקון חצות. (I’m fond of תיקון לאה.)

Now I have to set the alarm for 4:45 in order to be in time for סליחות.

I REALLY DON’T OBJECT to rising, if not shining, well before sunrise.

Unlike the Ashkenazim, Sephardi and Mizrachi minhag is to recite Selihot from the second day of Elul until Yom Kippor, skipping only Shabatot and Rosh HaShana.

The proper time for Selihot, according to the rabbis, is before dawn.

By the time Yom Kippor rolls around, early rising almost is automatic.

I used to envy my Ashkenazi acquaintances who can “sleep in” until time for תפילות השחר (morning prayers), but I’m in such good company for Selihot and Shaharet that it’s worth the early evening (9-9:30) burn out.

I could do Selihot at the house. I won’t mind missing the tongue tying Aramaic, but having to forego the 13 Medot (attributes) is something else. The “no minyan” Selihot, sans Aramaic, the several repetitions of the 13 Medot (ויעבר), and kadishim (it’s Aramaic) goes a lot faster, but “it’s not the same.”

From Rosh HaShana, Selihot is even longer, but its only during “The Ten Days.”

Maybe by the time I have recovered from the Yom Kippor fast the early rising will have become a habit and I’ll wake up before sunrise and get back into the Hatzot routine.

Hatzot starts off with ברכות השחר (morning prayers).

I asked one of the local Sefardi rabbis if, having said the morning prayers before Rachel and Leah, I needed to repeat the prayers again when it comes time for Shaharet – I am fortunate that I can wake up, do תיקון חצות and promptly go back to sleep – his answer was Once is enough. (Now I have a “head start” on the day.)

This is not exactly “Sleepless in Seattle,” but it can be “Yawning in the Morning.”


Sources

1. פרקי אבות 5:25

PLAGIARISM is the act of appropriating the literary composition of another, or parts or passages of his writings, or the ideas or language of the same, and passing them off as the product of one’s own mind.

Truth is an absolute defense to defamation. Defamation is a false statement of fact. If the statement was accurate, then by definition it wasn’t defamatory.

Comments on In the dark