Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Treasure those who disagree

 

Perhaps I'm "odd."

Different.

But I happen to appreciate people who occasionally disagree with me.

No one, not even this scrivener, wants people to disagree with them ALL the time, but once in a while.

Especially if the person keeps in mind everyone's' sensibilities and can cite his - or her - sources.

There is a certain rabbi, who shall for his own good remain nameless - who often "takes a different perspective" on what I think and post on this site.

We have been "going at it" for years.

But he has my absolute respect - even if he IS an Ashkenazi - and I write that with fondness and "tongue in cheek." (One of his grandparents was Sephardi.)

When I have a non-Sephardi-specific question, I ask "my" rabbi. I know that I'll get an answer within a reasonable period - he has a job and family so I don't expect an instant reply.

I also know that, now that I "trained" him, he will cite sources for his answers. I am an old newspaper reporter who learned early on to cite my sources and I expect no less of my sources. I know it should be enough that "Rabbi said," but even though he is one of a long line of rabbis, I have to have a source.

I also get regular emails from several organizations. All, fortunately, cite their sources.

I'm not a rabbi and I don't play one on tv, so sometimes my perceptions are - well, let's say, "different." The rabbi is kind enough to tell me my comments, my perspectives, give him reason for thought.

I prefer Shammai to Hillel.

I hold Yitro in high regard - Yitro reminds me of my father-in-law, Eliyahu ben Zohora עה''ש, a very wise and kind man.

I even argue that Bilaam has been unfairly treated by the rabbis; Bilaam had a communication link with HaShem and, as he told Balak's messengers, "I cannot go beyond the word of my L-rd, my G-d.* (More on that as we near Bilaam's portion.)

I know other rabbis and "rabbis." Unless a question relates specifically to the rabbi or the rabbi's congregation, I don't ask questions nor do I normally participate in their discourses with the congregation; too often I want to challenge them, and most prefer agreement to challenge, especially in public.

I'm sure there are other rabbis who can tolerate off the wall perspectives and respond similarly to my "rabbinical resource," but they are few and far between. I consider myself fortunate that this man shares his wisdom - and citations - with me.

* Hertz translation (במדבר בלק כ''ב י''ח) .