Thursday, August 14, 2008

Israeli companies in the US

Over the years - and they are many - that I have been in the work force, I have been employed by US firms in the US, Japanese companies in the US, British companies in the US, and Israeli companies in the US.

I've worked all manner of jobs - since '79, mostly "white collar" but an occasional "blue collar" job in the mix. Sometimes as a consultant, sometimes as a staffer.

With the exception of the Israeli companies in the US, my immediate boss' were non-Jewish Americans. (At the Japanese company, my boss' boss was Egyptian, but that's another - interesting - story.)

I also worked for Israeli organizations - Tel Aviv University and Tadiran Electronics (then) - in Israel.

In all cases but two, when I announced that I would

  • be leaving early on Fridays during the winter months
  • be taking off for a Jewish holy day

management's reaction was positive.

In one case, when I was at Oki Electronics (the Japanese firm), John Orr, my boss, would appear at my desk Friday afternoons around 4 p.m. (this was in Florida and the sun set later), pointing to his watch and reminding me to "go home."

John wasn't Jewish. I don't even know what he is, if anything.

But I do know he respected my observance.

In Israel, "back in the day," there was no question about working on Shabat.

At the university, I worked 5 and a half days and hoped I caught the first bus back to the apartment. At Tadiran, I worked 5 days (Sunday-Thursday) and did the pre-Shabat chores while the Spouse did a half day at her teaching job.

Even under pressure of proposal development, come Friday afternoon, Tadiran shut down.

Holidays? Closed.

'Course we only had one first/last day, so that made it a little more tolerable for the employer.

In the US, I'm forced to use up vacation days for observances. But people are understanding when they see time off requests scatted across the calendar.

Except

Except for the two Israeli companies.

In both cases, management wanted the company to be an "American" company.

Management was, by and large, not observant. Most of the Israelis sent over were not observant. (There was the guy who, on Yom Kippur, took a cigarette break at the front entrance of the synagogue. Ah, but to his credit he DID come to services on Kippur.)

In management's effort to "be American" they overlooked the basic American principle: respect others' beliefs.

Mind you, when it came to an American holiday (e.g., Thanksgiving) or a non-Jewish religious holiday, THAT was different. Shut the shop.

I have no problem with that; most of the other employees were not Jewish and celebrated those holidays either as religious events or simply days off.

But come Friday afternoon, one Israeli boss and his #1 assistant would take umbrage when I left early.

At the other company, all employees were invited to the annual Christmas party - that's how it was billed. The party always was at a restaurant where my spouse and I could not eat, yet we were expected to participate.

On the flip side, when I worked for DMR Consulting Group (now Japan's Fujitsu Consulting), my wife and I always were served kosher meals - not always fancy, but always kosher.

In their effort to become "American" companies, the Israelis overlooked one key item: respect for individuals.

Most American managers understand this, although some consider personnel a "renewable resource."

The Israelis apparently never learned the basic American lesson.

Pity.

Given the choice of working for an Israeli company in the US or any other company in the US, I'll go with the "any other company" option.

It's a sad day when you're made to feel like the late Rodney Dangerfield at your own work place.

Yohanon

No comments: