Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Common courtesy

A funny thing.

Fellow sent me an email asking me to review and comment on a document he wrote.

I responded to his email and asked where I could find the document.

I received an almost instant auto-response telling me


I apologize for this automatic reply to your email.

To control spam, I now allow incoming messages only from senders I have approved beforehand.

If you would like to be added to my list of approved senders, please fill out the short request form (see link below). Once I approve you, I will receive your original message in my inbox. You do not need to resend your message. I apologize for this one-time inconvenience.

Click the link below to fill out the request:


Now this person is not the only correspondent I have that has a similar set up and, frankly, I don't blame them.

But it seems to me if I am invited to respond, the spam catcher should be told to pass my mail to the person's inbox.

Often when we signup for a list we get an email telling us to add the list FROM address to our address book - apparently some email services can be told to look at the address book and to redirect to the Spam folder any email from an address not found in the address book.

I consider it common courtesy to open the gate for someone I invited to come in (send me an email).

Maybe it's an "age" thing.

Like holding a door for a lady.

Or walking between a lady and the curb ("kerb" to my friends on the other side of the pond).

I know young women today who find it "sexist" if a man rushes to be a "gentleman."

Whatever the case, I took umbrage when I received the email telling me my post was rejected. (Turns out it got through anyway.)

Common courtesy.

It's not a big deal to BE courteous, but it could be a big deal to someone who is on the receiving end.

Yohanon
Yohanon.Glenn @ gmail.com

No comments: