Wednesday, April 16, 2008

For want of a driver

I have a mix of peripherals connected to a Windows box.

I frequently am less than happy with Windows. I also am frequently frustrated by Microsoft Office, especially when MS fixes something that isn't broken (e.g. the Word user interface).

So when my XP Pro machine locked up - again - and when I failed to quickly find a Word function in Office 2007 that once was conveniently available in Office 2003, I thought it was time to start Looking Into Linux. I know there are Open Source applications "out there" that have the look and feel of MS products (which version?) and that can suck in MS-created files and turn out MS-compliant files so, although I live in an MS environment, I don't need MS to survive. So why stay with Windows and Office? Simple. Peripherals. I have a great Canon i850 bubble jet printer and a still-going-strong HP flatbed scanner. I've also got a Brother multifunction device which . . . well, it failed shortly after it went into service. None of the peripherals work with Linux. I also have Verizon DSL. I've had cable; Verizon is more portable and, over the years, has been good more than bad. I have yet to see a Verizon DSL modem for a Linux box (although I know there are Linux-compatible modems). I know I could set up the portable's 80G replacement hard drive to dual boot, but

Let me rephrase that. I know the 80G hard drive can be set up to dual boot.

I'm not a computer mavin or geek or nerd, although my first machine was CP/M (guess that just means I'm old). I want my software shrink wrapped, good to go out of the box. My #2 is a geek, but he is "there" and I am "here" so he's not much help. Besides, his path to geekdom included "repairing" a couple of my computers (including my classic all-in-one CP/M box). Why not Apple? Good company and I understand Macs include a Linux flavor. But Apple is Apple and if I am going to run Linux, let it be on a Linux machine. Bottom line: As long as the printer keeps printing and the scanner keeps scanning, I'm "stuck" with Windows. But I certainly wish Canon would get with the program and create downloadable Linux drivers for dummies - the same user requirements as those for Windows: "Click the button." yohanon

No comments: