Wednesday, November 30, 2011

No "Jewish connection"

Classical BANJO?

 

The other day, poking through the CDs at my Local Lending Library, I chanced upon one featuring Bela Fleck titled Perpetual Motion on the Sony label.

The cover shows a youngish fellow sitting on a chair playing a banjo.

But I found this in the "classical" section.

Flipping the jewel case over, I read the "cuts" on the disk, cuts that included bits and pieces by the likes of Bach, Debussy, Chopin, Tchaikovsky, Paganini, and Beethoven.

Not the type composers I think of when I think of banjo music. No "Carolina Breakdown" or "Orange Blossom Special" on Fleck's album. (Are CDs called "albums?")

Curious, I checked it out and when I got to the house, I stuck the CD into the notebook.

AMAZING

I shared a couple of cuts with a five-stinger friend and even he was impressed. Another acquaintenance reported hearing the picker live and he, too, was favorably impressed.

All this of course proves that some things - and people - have to be experienced to be appreciated.

I confess to having "catholic" tastes in music - I enjoyed Fleck's "pickin'," but I also enjoy Bluegrass - and both European and Arabic classical, Flamenco, and a host of other variations on a music theme.

Even Copeland.

My first encounter with Copeland was one of his early works. Discordant cacophony of dissonance - and yes, Virginia, I know that's redundant, but the cuts on the vinyl I bought - and gave away - still hurt my ears. But then I "discovered" Copeland's later works, including Fanfare for the Common Man, Appalachian Spring, and Rodeo - among others.

There was a time I eschewed organ music as "too heavy, too churchy." Then I was introduced to Jimmy Smith and The Cat album.

I'm no longer a teenager, but I'm still learning, broadening my mind. Maybe someday I'll learn to appreciate "dying swan" opera. Maybe.

I'm glad I chanced upon Bela Fleck.

It's not the five-string pickin' I'm accustomed to hearing, but it is one enjoyable CD.