Friday, December 2, 2011

Synagogue's raison d'être

Or, Who is the CEO

 

There are two (2) reasons a synagogue exists:

  1.   To educate

  2.  As a social club

Let's be honest, in most observant congregations, there is a lot of socializing going on, and not just in the ladies' section.

But the "social life" I am thinking about are the kiddish luncheons, the holiday and hilula special event get-togethers, etc.

The "education" part includes a rabbi's comments at minyan, whether he expounds on the Torah, the Talmud, Shulhan Aruk (with or without Rema's Mappa), Rambam and Ramban, Ben Ish Hai, and other "thought leaders."

The congregation's rabbi is supposed to be, is expected to be, the authority when it comes to religious practice. He is - or should be - the absolute "final authority" when it comes to religious education, and again, I'm writing about dvar Torah and similar, not alef-bet and beni mitzvah training.

Since the rabbi should be, in my not-at-all-humble opinion, "the" authority, he, not the board or a Very Big Promiser-of-Funds, should be the synagogue's CEO.

A board, if there is one, should be there to assure critical things such as synagogue operation and maintenance are handled in a businesslike manner; the synagogue after all is a business.

The board should realize that the rabbi is the "draw," the reason many people sign membership forms. The hazan also is a draw, but less so than the rabbi, at least for observant Jews.

The rabbi is the CEO; the board president reports to the rabbi, not the other way around.

As for the social events, an active Woman's Club usually is the best choice.

I used to be a member of a congregation where the rabbi was just an employee, like the hazan or the maintenance guy. The rabbi may as well have been Jacob Cohen (a"h).

I now make minyan at a congregation where the rabbi is the CEO; the "final authority" on things religious. No, I don't always agree with the rabbi; he's not North African and that presents some divergence of opinion, but it IS "his" synagogue and in that synagogue he IS the "final authority."

Years ago I belonged to a congregation in Pennsylvania. One year the Men's Club approached the rabbi asking to use the basement social hall for a New Year's Eve celebration. The rabbi had a one-word response: "No." I'm sure he explained why the celebration was inappropriate for a synagogue. There was a board. He was young and relatively new. But he was acknowledged as the congregation's CEO; he stayed and the party was moved elsewhere.

I have seen rabbis who I considered - delicately put - "unacceptable." When that happens I have two choices: relocate or hope a new rabbi comes to town.

I have seen strong rabbis and I have seen strong boards.

Since I prefer my socializing outside the sanctuary, I always prefer a strong rabbi.

I don't recall ever joining a synagogue because of a strong board or a charismatic board member, but I have joined congregations because of the rabbi.

Synagogue-connected socializing is a good thing, especially when people have young children (or grandchildren). By all means, have the hilula in the social hall; have a kiddish luncheon where people can mingle and chat.

But remember there is another reason the synagogue exists - as a place of Jewish education and the Chief Educator is the rabbi - not the board.

הריני מקבל עלי מצוה עשה של ואהבת לרעך כמוך, והריני אוהב כל אחד מבני ישראל כנפשי ומאודי