Thursday, January 25, 2018

Opuscula

Signs of a Jew

ACCORDING TON AN ISRAEL HAYOM story "Half of European Jews hide their religion, survey shows "1.

The free paper contends that Some 51% of Jews in Europe say they feel unsafe wearing Jewish symbols such as a Star of David • About 27% of European Jews say they feel unsafe as Jews, compared to 11% of Jews in North America .

ASIDE FROM THE DIFFERENCE in the mentality of the typical European (“Don’t make waves”) Jew and the American and Canadian-born Jews, there is the notion that it’s who we ARE, rather than what we WEAR that identifies a Jew.

The Jews in the U.S. who flaunt a mogan david on a chain dangling on a hirsute chest wear the decoration as an advertisement. The wearer probably neither is observant nor knowledgeable. Maybe he is “trolling” for a woman who wants a “rich Jewish husband” which may be OK if he’s looking for a trophy wife.

My “I’m a Jew” advertisement is a knit kippa on my head.

About the only place I do NOT wear a kippa is in towns such as Dothan AL; but Dothan is a scary town, kippa or not.

I once had a job in Charlotte NC– not a hotbed of Jewish learning. I was told early on that if I normally wore a kippa I should wear in it Charlotte. Similar situation in Charleston WV.

About the only two places the kippa was discouraged were Tadiran in Clearwater FL and Zim in Norfolk VA. No one told me “get rid of the kippa,” but it was obvious the Israeli heloni contingent at both companies was “uncomfortable” with my headgear. (The Americans took it in stride.)

The way a woman dresses – ¾ length sleeves, hems to the knees – gives a clue that the woman may be an observant Jew -- or just dressed in the latest fashions.

My mother-in-law – may she live to be 120 – visited us once in Sarasota FL from Bet Shean Sarasota has a large Mennonite population. She saw the men in black suits and hats, and the women in modest dresses and caps. She was sure we lived in an observant Jewish community. She was disappointed to find out all these observant “Jews” were not Jews at all.

Jewelry generally is looked upon as trinkets for the ladies. Aside from a watch and ring, men in the U.S. generally eschew jewelry. The most common “jewelry” for me is a lapel pin.

A pin of the U.S. flag is popular; for Jews and those who associate with Israel, with an Israeli flag pin or – more often – a pin with both U.S. and Israeli flags. I suppose these are NOT flag pins to wear in Europe, but in the U.S. and Canada, they are fine.

It is easy to identify me as a Jew. I walk to minyans on Shabbatot and hagggim.

When my boys were small we usually walked together. Sometimes, not often, I would precede them -- or vice versa – and neighbors would inquire ”Where are the boys?” This was not a “Jewish” neighborhood.

I have neighbors where I now live that, seeing me on the streets on Shabat will salute me with “Shabat shalom.” These neighbors are not Jewish, although the neighborhood is largely Jewish, even if most are less observant.

Some newcomers to the States and Canada may initially feel uncomfortable displaying anything “Jewish.” My wife did and she’s Moroccan raised in Israel. She has since gotten over her unjustified concerns.

It seems to me – and admittedly I am NOT there – that if Muslims in Europe can wear apparel that marks them as Muslims, Jews should do likewise. Jews in Europe must abandon their “We are victims and cannot defend ourselves” mentality.

Concerned about being outnumbered? Go in large groups; at least minyan size.

Worried about attackers with weapons? Arm yourselves with sticks, 2*4s, lengths of pipe. Don’t flaunt them, but have them at the ready.

There are only to options for European Jews:
1.Make waves
2. Move to Israel, where braver Jews will protect you.

Sources

1. Israel HaYom: http://www.israelhayom.com/2018/01/24/half-of-european-jews-hide-their-religion-survey-shows/

PLAGIARISM is the act of appropriating the literary composition of another, or parts or passages of his writings, or the ideas or language of the same, and passing them off as the product of one’s own mind.

Comments on Signs