Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Opuscula

Spirit Vacations
Address a secret ?

 

I recently wrote (see Walkin' Flyin' to New Orleans) that Spirit Airlines over-charged me for a stowed suitcase (blog entry for February 9, 2016).

I complained to Spirit's Customer Service.

Apologizing for the several days delay in responding to my snail mail letter in which I carefully set out my complaint I got an email stating that Spirit Customer Service couldn't work with me.

Why?

According to a CSR, I have to contact Spirit Vacations; her group won't deal with vacation packages. I was provided with a phone number.

I noted that my letter had been passed around and asked the CSR if the letter carefully documenting my issues couldn't be forwarded to to Spirit Vacations.

Impossible.

Well then, how about a physical address; I am loathe to phone and try to explain to a CSR who may, or may not, (a) have a command of English or (b) care about a customer.

The CSR's reply:

Is the address for Spirit Vacations a state secret?

The address of Spirit headquarters easily is found on the Internet
Spirit Airlines, Inc.
2800 Executive Way
Miramar, FL 33025

The web site Consumerist shows COO Martin Harrison and Tony Lefebvre, SVP of Customer Service working at the HQ address. It also includes their emails, emails that it is safe to conclude are filtered by Executive Assistants.

As of January 6, 2016, according to The Motley Fool web site, Ben Baldanza, CEO from 2006, is out and Robert Fornaro, former CEO of AirTran Airways is in.

Spirit's Management web site lists 17 executives, leading off with new President Chief Executive Officer, and Class III Director Robert Fornaro. Neither Martin Harrison nor Tony Lefebvre, SVP of Customer Service appear on the company's list, and absolutely no contact information other than the HQ address. The only executive with contact information (address, phone number, and email) is DeAnne Gabel, Sr. Director, Investor Relations. Ms. Gabel's name does not appear with the other executives; she's a "director," the others on the page are VPs or higher.

No Customer Service VP is listed on the airline's web site.

To be fair, a Google search for Spirit Airlines VP of Customer Service did turn up, on elliot.org, the name of Heather Lenahen, Director of Customer Relations & Luggage Resolution at the HQ and gave her email as heather.harvey@spiritair.com . Is Ms. Lenahen still with Spirit? Apparently it is hard to know "who's on first" with the company. If she still is a Spirit employee, will she know the Spirit Vacations secret address?

Several pages of complaints about Spirit Airlines may be read at the Corporate Office Headquarters' web site. I'm not sure all of the complaints are valid, but as the old saw goes, Where there is smoke, there is fire.

I'm not complaining about the 2 two-hour flights; they were not exceptional in any respect. I would prefer to ride on a Boeing rather than an Airbus; I have more confidence in the former. My initial complaint was being over-charged for the stowed bag. Now, however, that complaint has been joined by Spirit's Customer Service - nice, polite, but absolutely useless.