Tuesday, January 18, 2011

AvMed member "services?"

 

Sometimes I'm left scratching my head when dealing with "customer service" folks.

I recently sent a copy of a complaining letter to my insurance carrier; the original went to the physician with whom I am less than happy.

The electronic copy went to the insurer's Member Services Department. Like the paper copy, it contained details "by the numbers," details that could get lost or overlooked if I called the insurer's 800 number. Besides, I don't care to listen to elevator music-on-hold for 20 minutes while my call is ignored.

My email to AvMed generated the following scripted and totally useless response.

Dear Mr. Glenn,

We have received notification of your concerns regarding your physician services. Member satisfaction is of utmost importance to AvMed Health Plans and we regret any inconvenience this situation has caused. Please contact Member Services at the telephone number below if you would like to file a formal complaint.

If you have any further questions, please email us or contact Member Services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1-800-782-8633.

Sincerely,

{name hidden to protect innocent}
Correspondence Coordinator
Member Services Department
Phone 1-800-782-8633

I would have thought a written message would qualify as a formal complaint.

There's always next November 15 (when I can change providers).