Thursday, February 18, 2010

Lesson learned

I just did a dumb thing.

I installed a Microsoft Service Pack.

Specifically Vista SP2 on my Toshiba Satellite L355-S7905.

Seems SP2 killed my audio utility; simply deleted it.

How do I know it was SP2?

The application worked before I installed SP2.

The application failed to work (could not be found by Vista) after SP2 was installed.

I have worked for companies that would wait two or three days - sometimes a tad longer - after Microsoft released a patch before applying it to its servers and desktops.

I don't believe I really needed SP2. But I (foolishly) trusted Redmond and installed the code.

I have an excellent "internet security" application that lets me ignore Microsoft's "security" updates at least for a few days after their release; I'm sure that saves me a great deal of grief.

A word to the wise: if you plan to install any Microsoft update, especially one that can impact the operating system (such as a Service Pack), know how to find the computer manufacturer's Web site and where you can download (replacement) utilities.

Fortunately for me, Toshiba has a pretty good Web site - all I needed was to get the unit's model number from its underside and follow the easy-to-understand instructions on the WWW to locate and install the sound utility.

I didn't even need to call The Geek - although I had the phone at the ready.

yohanon
Yohanon.Glenn at gmail dot com

No comments: