Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Spare me

It’s “that” time of year.

Three days when many congregations must make enough money to get them through the year.

Three days when Jews not seen in a minyan any other time – except when they demand a minyan for kadish – show up in shul. (Sadly, many are becoming two-day or even one-day Jews.)

I used to belong to a congregation that put selling honors above Kol Nidre. Never mind that Kol Nidre must be recited before nightfall; selling honors took precedence and night was started before the hazan uttered כל נדרי ואסרי ושבועי the first time.

I understand synagogues are a business; they have operating expenses for staff and facilities.

But I’ve always thought “There has to be a better way” to sell honors than spending an hour or more of time that should be devoted to prayers.

Most synagogues do this; mine does it. (Because my congregation is small, the bidding usually goes relatively quickly.)

There is a way to expedite the “selling of the shul.”

Silent auctions.

My proposal is for the congregation’s management to send out a list of the honors for each day. Open ark, take out scrolls, carry scrolls, hagbahah, aliyot, etc.

Members and guests would bid on the honors they want and return the list/bid sheet to the shul.

That would not eliminate all bidding, but it would establish a “floor” from which the auctioneer would start the in-shul bidding.

The management might even set a “base bid” for each honor.

Cohen aliyah       Minimum bid: 300    Cohen’s name: (in the event the bidder wants to honor someone)

As usual, I am a little late to present my idea to the management; maybe I’ll remember next rosh hodesh Elul, but probably not.

I understand there are folks who simply insist on being viewed as “big machers” and it is both their pleasure and a benefit to the synagogue coffers to stand up, puff up, and (hopefully) coough up later; I would not want to eliminate all bidding. What I want to eliminate are the small bids that we all know will be surpassed. Why start at 10 when we know the honor will go for at least 100?

Spare me . . . or wake me when it’s over.

Now, if only we could guarantee that the highest bidder will pay up.