Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Worm in the "Big Apple"

 
There's an article on ynet's Jewish World headed NY: Stores sued over modesty signs http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4347157,00.html).

Basically, a group of storeowners in Brooklyn's Williamsburg section are accused by the New York City Commission on Human Rights of discrimination after posting signs on windows advising customers not to enter wearing shorts, sleeveless tops and low cut necklines.

In beach communities, it is common to see signs on business stating either "Shirt and shoes required" or "No service without shirt and shoes."

In both cases, the shops in Williamsburg and in the beach communities, there are other businesses offering the same or similar services sans the dress code.

I live in, and occasionally vacation in other, beach communities, and I never have heard of anyone objecting to the proprietors' dress codes.; certainly no one ever filing suit against a dress code.

Some of the classier beaneries in the area demand that gentlemen wear a coat and tie - yes, even in Florida. Ladies likewise are expected to dress appropriately. No one is challenging the restaurant proprietor's dress code. The Federal government insists that the restaurants serve everyone regardless of any physical or mental attributes, but it does not insist that dress codes be abandoned.

If I don't like the dress code at La Haute Cuisine (strictly Bet Yosef, of course) I can get a bite at Etzel Yakov's, kosher if not Bet Yosef. Yakov, the owner, doesn’t dress in a tux to welcome diners and "Israeli casual" is welcome.

If I want to buy a suit and I wander into a GQ advertiser's shoppe I expect to dress accordingly. Likewise, if I want a tuxedo from Tux R Us, then I might wander into the store in shirt, shorts, and sandals.

If for some reason I am invited to visit a courtroom - hopefully only as a juror - I know that a t-shirt, cutoffs, and sandals are going to get me bounced from the venue. (I might be bounced to a jail cell for contempt of court.) I won't hear anyone complain or tell the judge "You can't do that; it violates my civil rights."

There are reasons why anti-discrimination laws are on the books, but having and enforcing a dress code should NOT be one of the reasons.

I think the "bottom line" in Williamsburg is that a liberal's "right" to dress in a manner that offends others in the "others" establishments trumps the rights of the proprietors AND the businesses other, often regular, customers to expect a modicum of modesty on the part of other patrons - or just liberals looking for a fight.

The shops in question are neither restaurants nor lodgings and certainly not on any interstate commerce route. The shops in question more than likely carry merchandise that can be purchased elsewhere, and probably at a better price … AND without the liberal customers being in contact with the extremists who expect modesty in their shoppes.

I suggest that Bloomberg's City of New York has hit a new high in lows.

I've had the misfortune to visit New York and even Brooklyn. Given my druthers, I'd druther not visit New York again; passing through one of its airports is more than enough for me. This silliness on the part of the New York City Commission on Human Rights is just one more case of power going to someone's otherwise empty head.

Maybe the New York City Commission on Human Rights should investigate itself.