Wednesday, February 27, 2013

"Arafat" beards

What is it with today's "bearded" Jews?

Most look like they are copying Yasser Arafat's stubble.

 

A Jew who wears a beard should wear a BEARD.

Stubble doesn't count.

Whose wife would let her husband wear stubble.

It irritates like sandpaper.

In the heat it itches - more than a "real" beard. (Trust me on this.)

No one is saying a beard needs to be down to the wearer's ankles and look like an untrimmed bush. That's for rabbis of "observant" shules who still believe a beard makes the man. (I've seen some Big Name rabbis who don't wear beards; maybe they can't grow a beard, or maybe their wives put their foot down - שלום בית trumps many beards. )

I see any unbearded Jewish men and many with real beards - Hakham Shalom Sharabi ע''הas an example.


But the "Arafat" beard ?

The Arafat beard is stubble; a beard that is trimmed using a beard trimmer set at the lowest number, at the closest setting that still leaves something that can be considered, if not a beard, then simply "not shaving."

For the record, my wife never has seen me sans facial hair. I came close one time when I failed to notice the shield (that protects my face with direct contact with the clippers) was missing. My daughter was delighted at my mishap, but her joy was short-lived, and I am not much more careful.

I suppose that if it is "the thought that count," than stubble is "thoughtful." But to call it a "beard" - especially a "Jewish" beard, seems - well, unorthodox.