Friday, September 19, 2008

Open letter

to (alphabetically) Senators Bidin, McCain, and Obama and Gov. Palin,

Politicians

This one accuses that one of something.

That one points an accusing finger at the other.

We are being told why NOT to vote for "the other guy."

Frankly, Scarlett, I don't want to know why NOT to vote for someone.

Convince me why I should vote FOR someone.

There are some headlines worth talking about.

North Korea, for one.

North Korea apparently threatens (promises?) to re-start its nuclear plants, claiming the US failed to meet its agreement with it.

How, lady and gentlemen, would you handle the situation?

How about Iran, which HAS reactors AND claims to have bombs and delivery vehicles (missiles) AND claims to be ready to use them, if not on the US mainland, then on US allies, both Arab and otherwise.

How , lady and gentlemen, do you react to the Saudi Muslim cleric who calls for vigilante murder of owners of tv stations that show what the cleric considers improper material? Is this strictly an "internal-to-Saudi" issue or does the fatwa threaten tv station owners and employees here as well as in Islamic states?

How, lady and gentlemen, would you handle financial recovery - remember it's an international issue - and what would you do to avoid or mitigate a similar situation on your watch?

Stop telling me what "my worthy opponent" would do - tell me what you would do.

Stop telling me your "worthy opponent" changed his/her stance on something - actually, I can respect that, it shows the person is open to new information and able to react accordingly - and tell me what could cause you to re-evaluate an issue and your stance on that issue.

Don't tell me what you will do if elected when, if elected, you don't control the issue. Case in point, abortion. The executive lacks the authority to issue a fiat banning it; that's a matter properly for the States, and if not the individual states (we went to war for that once), then the federal House and Senate (and not, in my opinion, the Court). Don't want to talk about abortion? How about same sex "marriage," another issue properly left to the States (I think).

The executive can, and should, have an opinion and it can and should (try to) influence both the legislature(s) and the general populace.

But it lacks the authority to issue a fiat, (papal) bull, or iman's fatwa.

If you are pro-life or pro-choice, that's fine and if you insist on telling me, that's OK, too. But don't tell me "If elected I will ..." because you can't.

Attacking each other is dishonest - few attacks are 100% truth.

Attacking each other is covering your own trail.

Tell me about you and your opinions and your desires and what you would (want to) do in the event that (pick a subject) occurs.

Tell me what you would do to avoid a future financial crisis - not what you would have done to prevent this one. Hindsight is wonderful, but mostly worthless - my portfolio has lost too much already.

Tell me how you would help the States reduce their welfare roles -how you'd like to see the Federal government help people help themselves.

Tell me how you would discourage people from succumbing to their own stupidity and rebuilding in environmentally threatened areas (e.g., on gulf coast beaches).

Give me a reason to vote FOR you, not reasons to suspect the other candidate.

Be honest with yourself and with me.

Try it.

It might actually help get you elected.

yohanon

No comments: