Tuesday, September 16, 2008

I'd stay but . . .

My - our - daughter is, B"H, getting married in February.

In Israel.

She lives in Rehovoth.

My - our - son-in-law to be also lives in Rehoboth and his parents live nearby.

We are in The States.

My wife went to Israel with her parents when she was about 9.

I got there in my 30s.

We met in Zefat and, as a married couple, lived in Holon. She taught school and I worked first as a flack for a university and later as a technical writer for the electronics division of a mega-firm.

We were doing OK until Tnuva went on strike and fresh milk for my first born son disappeared from the makolet.

One straw and then another and we decided to follow Ramb"am's example and leave Israel.

Since then, I held more than a few tech pubs jobs and I drifted into disaster recovery, then business continuity, and now enterprise risk management.

The wife, who spoke "only" Hebrew and Arabic and French and "a little English" when we met in Zefat now corrects my grammar (which delights me greatly).

Our two boys remain in the States, but over the years the Spouse and I talked of returning. Usually one talks of going back and the other isn't ready.

Now we're both ready.

But we still can't go back.

Why?

Even though the children are out of the house, we still have every day bills to pay. Minor things like food and utilities and . . . Basic household expenses.

Translation: As much as we'd like to come back - with the exception of our two sons, all of the family is in Israel, some near Haifa, most in Bet Shean - we can't make the move.

Bottom line - kav ha'takton - is we need employment. I need employment if only to keep from going stir crazy. My Spouse gets "cabin fever" when she is "trapped" in the house. We need to work, not just to pay those household expenses, but to Save Our Sanity.


This, then, is a blatant Job Wanted advertisement.

  • Writer (marketing, proposals, pr, technical, user guides) - American English mother tongue
  • Enterprise risk management (business continuity, disaster recovery, "COOP")
  • Consultant and staff
  • Experience in Israel and experience in the US with Israeli (and other) companies
  • Dual national


We will, B"H, be in Israel in February.

I really hate the flight and I'd love to cash in the return trip.

How can you get a resume? Yohanon.Glenn@gmail.com .

No comments: