Sunday, May 11, 2008

OK, OU, Star-K, Vaad this and B'datz that

We are shomrei kashrut.

Which means we depend on labels such as OK, Star-K, OU, various va'adim, bdatz of various cities, etc.

For the most part, I have a high level of confidence in these organizations, realizing that sometimes a symbol is high jacked or used incorrectly. That's why I subscribe to Kashrut-dot-com.

But, since we are Sephardi - specifically North African - we can enjoy kitniyot during Pesach. Our Ashkenazi cousins' tradition is to forego such delights during the same period.

Since OK, Star-K, OU, and most of the vaads are controlled by, and cater to, Ashkenazim, they automatically reject as "not kosher (for Pesach)" anything that might contain kitniyot. Sometimes the certifying agency fails to specify "for Passover" and just lets the reader believe a product is "not kosher" - period. That is both insulting and libelous.

But insults and libel are not the reason for this piece.

I queried one of the major national certifying agencies about its certification process and found that, well, it's not all that thorough.

The agency checks the product's process - say a canned vegetable.

It may check the vegetable for bugs.

But what about the chemicals what are used to wash the veggies?

How about the chemicals that go into the can to preserve freshness?

The answer I got when I asked, basically, "how far back do you go" to assure that the ingredients in an ingredient in an ingredient used in the process is kosher? was, by me, "not far enough."

Let's face it, in order to determine if a product is kosher today, a person needs to be a chemist or only eat fresh-from-the-field provisions - and is even that sufficient given what we use to enhance and protect food products - both fruits and veggies as well as animal products.

It is my understanding that the certifying agencies DO have well-qualified chemists and other trained personnel, and I have no quarrel with the expertise employed by the agencies.

I do, however, have two complaints:

One, if you tell me something is kosher, I want to know that ALL the ingredients are kosher; just as I am told meat has been properly slaughtered and inspected (at a minimum "glatt") I want to know the agency knows that all the chemicals are kosher-certified. If I need to be concerned that the salt I use for Pesach is not iodinized, I expect the certifying agency, with its highly educated chemists and food scientists to know every chemical used in a food's process.

Two, while I realize Sephardim and Mizrachim are in the minority in North America, I think the certifying agencies should state "Kosher for Passover/May contain kitniyot" if that's a concern. To state something globally is not KforP is bigotry or, to be "PC," narrow minded. It is as if Sephardim/Mizrachim are "lesser Jews."

In my business (risk management) I am obliged to look beyond my own business to that of my vendors (and sometimes my clients, as well). I need to know that if my vendor fails, I will have a supply of critical "whatevers" - in other words, does my vendor have a viable risk management plan? I don't normally ask if my vendor's vendor has a plan - but I might expect my vendor's plan to consider this and give some evidence of that consideration.

I don't put the vendor's product into my mouth and the vendor's product is not covered by the laws of kashrut, but I am careful since the vendor's product can effect my bottom line (as it can a certifying agency's).

Beyond that, we have found that we - users of ingredients to produce our products - need to do our own checks. The most recent example of the need for inspection at all stages of a product's production is a high concentration of lead in dental appliances.

If the kosher certifying agency fails to confirm that ALL ingredients in a product as kosher, how can it claim the product we put into our mouth is kosher?

(Yes, I know about the 1/60th and "so a dog won't eat it" qualifications.)

I still look for the kosher label, but I no longer have complete trust that the product bearing the label really is "100% kosher."

Still it is, after all, better than nothing.

Yohanon
Yohanon. Glenn @ gmail.com

No comments: