Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Half truths - are they lies?

I've been casually watching the primary politicos' press posturing and I have to tell you, I am (once again) disappointed in our choices - and in some of the folks supporting them.

It's not that any of the candidates are telling blatant lies about their opponents, at least as far as I can tell, but innuendo and half truths are flying about more than feathers from a torn pillow in a hurricane.


Most of us know the story of the prevaricator who slandered his rabbi.
Later, filled with remorse, he went to his rabbi and asked how he could make amends.
Rabbi tells him to take a feather pillow, rip it open, and throw the feathers to the wind.
Our miscreant does as he was told and returns to the rabbi expecting forgiveness.
Instead the rabbi instructs the slanderer to collect all the feathers and put them back into the pillow.
"It's impossible to retrieve all the feathers; they were blown away by the wind."
"Exactly," replies the rabbi, "it's the same with your words; they have scattered (by one person gossiping to others) beyond retrieval."


One candidate claims to be in favor of something; the opponent takes the remark out of context and, like a tv sound bite (of which we all should be suspicious), presents it as the full remark, adding his or her on twist own the other person's words.

Of course each candidate plays to the audience of the moment. While there may be a lack of a documented promise, there are "suggestions" about the candidate's feelings toward this group, or against the groups real or perceived foe.

To be fair to the candidates, many of us are "single issue" voters who will vote for anyone who claims to think as we do on "our" special interest.

Has everyone forgotten everything they learned in their high school Civics classes? Presidents can say whatever they want, but Congress and the Court can frustrate any president's wishes. Elect me and everyone will have a lifetime supply of "free" high octane gas - never mind that Congress won't fund the promise and I'm certainly not going to pay for it from MY pocket.

There are Web sites that attempt to fairly present a candidate's views, but it's hard to hit a moving target.

One thing that amuses me about politicians - they attack each other for having a change of mind.

Are we all frozen in time, never changing when new evidence is presented or different situations occur?

I know I wasn't always as I am today. I would hate for someone to say I was "wishy-washy" because I drive a Chevy when I used to drive a Ford. (Actually I don't drive either, but I hope I make my point.)

I think it would be great if we could develop a list of concerns with input from all special interest groups, carefully craft the questions to avoid "weasel worded" answers, and present them to candidates sequestered in separate rooms and away from their advisors and "spin doctors."

No debate.

Just the answers; as complete as the candidate cares to provide (for even that tells us something about the person).

Spare me the negative half truths; I won't listen to one candidate attempt to discredit another. I want to know where the candidate stands on the issues.

Civility and truth on the campaign trail: the stuff of which dreams are made.

Yohanon
Yohanon.Glenn @ gmail.com

No comments: