Monday, January 20, 2014

Rebbetzin

She is not a rabbi.

She may have little or no knowledge of Judaism beyond the kitchen.

Her sole claim to fame is that she is married to a rabbi (who may, or may not, deserve the title).

A brief tale to illustrate my point.

Swartz retires from the rag trade and moves to St. Petersburg FL.

He buys a 36-foot cabin cruiser.

He buys an outfit befitting the captain of a 36-foot cabin cruiser.

Swartz, in his captain's uniform, takes Mrs. Swartz to see the boat and suggests a three-hour tour of the Gulf of Mexico.

The long suffering Mrs. Swartz turns to Mr./Captain Swartz and tells him:

"By you, you are a captain. By me, you are a captain. BUT, by a captain are you a captain?

Are preachers' wives called "Preacheretts?"

Are doctors' wives called "Doctorates?"

Are barristers' wives called "Barrettes?"

Preachers, like rabbis may - or may not - have both the knowledge and the credentials for the job; one expects or at least hopes doctors and lawyers have the requirements for the title.

So why do most Jews hold rabbis' wives in awe and grant them a title that advertises her husband's job title?

I know several rebbetzins who ARE fairly knowledgeable. I also know several rebbetzins who know little but pretend to be authorities on everything Jewish. Usually, albeit not always, the rebbetzin's ignorance or knowledge is a reflection of her husband's ignorance or knowledge.

Questions: If a rebbetzin is a rabbi's wife

  1. What do you call a female rabbi?
  2. What do you call the spouse/significant other of a female rabbi?
Just asking.

I suppose if a Mrs. wants to flaunt her husband's title she could call herself Mrs. Rabbi Cohen or Mrs. Doctor Levy or even Mrs. By-Him-He's-A-Captain Swartz.

A geezer's pet peeve. When I went to grammar school - back when Hector was a pup and Carter had "little liver pills" - a married woman was formally addressed as Mrs. (Husband's given name) (Husband's surname).

If Mrs. Stanley Swartz was addressed as Mrs. Carole Swartz this was a sign that Mr. Stanley Swartz was dead. "Ms." Carole Swartz was OK. "Miss" simply was unacceptable for a married or widowed woman.

Whatever happened to etiquette, manners?

And no, unless I invite you, don't call me by my given name, especially if you are trying to sell me something; I'm not your buddy, I'm a customer and while I may not have your respect, my money - like an officer's rank - demands respect.