Friday, November 8, 2013

"Golden" Rule

Ignorance is bliss

 

Almost everyone knows the so-called "Golden Rule." It is attributed to Jesus by at least two of his apostles Luke (6:31) and Matthew (7:12)

Most of Jesus' followers believe this is the first time this idea saw the light of day.

Ignorance is bliss.

But the Internet provides an education.

Almost everyone knows that it is easier to tell someone to avoid doing something than to do something. It doesn't work on children. "Don't leave your clothes on the floor" works no better than "Put your clothes in the hamper," but "Don't hit you sister" may work better than "Give your sister a hug."

Still, Leviticus, about 1400 BCE writes in Chap. 19, V. 18: “Love thy neighbor as thyself.” That's about as "positive" as it gets.

Shamai's partner, Hillel, told a potential convert to Judaism "Do not do to others what you would not have them do to you." (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/r/rabbi_hillel.html#H57kgDwaHQEl04C5.99). Hillel already was established as a leading scholar when Jesus was born.

The Chinese philosopher Confucius, who lived from 551–479 BCE., is said to have written, "Do not do to others that which we do not want them to do to us." A Hindu text written in about the same time period, the Mahabharata, includes the phrase, “Do not unto others which would cause pain if done to you.” Similar concepts are expressed in Taoism, Buddhism, Zoroastrianism and many other religions and philosophies. (http://www.wisegeek.org/ what-is-the-golden-rule.htm) As Solomon is credited with saying: אין שום חדש תחת השמש – there’s nothing new under the sun.

Jesus allegedly said the same thing in the positive and his followers are convinced this is the first occurrence of the philosophy, certainly as a positive. The philosophy, however, hardly was new; it can be accurately dated to 1400 years prior to his birth when Leviticus, about 1400 BCE. tells us in; Chap. 19, V. 18 states: “Love thy neighbor as thyself.” Ignorance is bliss.

Both Hillel, and later Jesus, opined that this philosophy was the centerpiece of the law; Hillel, however, told the convert to "go and study." Since Hillel was senior, one suspects Jesus of plagiarism, knowingly or otherwise.

I am not trying to convince Jesus' followers to abandon their beliefs. What I am attempting to do is to convince them that theirs is not the "correct path" for all people. In other words, DON'T TRY TO CONVERT ME or any other "non-believers."

Proselytizers are not welcome. (Try proselytizing a Muslim in Saudia and see what happens!)

It is enough that my tax dollars go to fund city decorations for Christmas and Easter. Easter especially which in Europe was accompanied by pogroms. Still, I don't complain.

My largely Jewish complex pays for holiday lights - and one small hanukiah in the gate shack - and I don't complain. I don't think any of the other Jewish residents complain either.

But don't try to convince me I'm doomed to eternal damnation if I don't believe in Jesus-as-god. It is a waste of time and I hate to waste my time. Actually, I don't want to waste a proselytizer's time either. (I show such people the mezuzah on the doorpost and explain when they see anything similar, to just keep on keeping on; there is no ROI stopping at a house with a mezuzah on it.)

I'm retired - before I was just tired - so I don't have the at-work interaction I once had; consequently I am spared people who want to spread the "good news" (gospels) and insist on everyone sharing their beliefs. Younger people aren't so fortunate.

Maybe Jews should once again seek converts.

It's a hard sell though, especially for some men. Paul, nee' Saul, gained converts to his religion by telling potential converts that while Jesus was a Jew - and by some accounts a knowledgeable one - they (the potential convert) didn't have to become Jewish and suffer all that "Jewish stuff" - the dietary laws, the modesty laws, the ban on incest, circumcision."Accept my god and have life everlasting; accept my god and no matter how much you sin you are forgiven." In other words, dear pagan, keep doing what you're doing but at least pay lip service to my god and you're good to go.

Sounds good, but I'm not convinced and I cannot be convinced. The one thing of which I AM convinced is that I don't abide proselytizers.

I know you mean well, but if you are trying to sell Jesus-as-god to me, you are wasting your time and my time and certainly NOT "winning friends and influencing people."