Friday, March 1, 2013

Raising funds efficiently

Reaching many more for much less



I occasionally rant about schnorers coming from Israel to collect donations in the U.S. and Canada. I'm relatively certain they go elsewhere as well.

My complaint always is; How much money is wasted flying across the ocean, renting a car and chauffer, paying for lodging and kosher food - money that COULD be going to the fund for which the schnorer is schnoring?

I was advised that some of these gentlemen - for they almost always are men, most often with a rabbinical title - are "sponsored" by someone who picks up their expenses. Perhaps that's why one candidly told me that despite the costs cited above, "it's worth it" to abandon wife, children, and, perhaps, job to come to America.

I often recommend that funds should dispense with the Traveling Israeli and engage local or national organizations to work on the fund's behalf. Could a "Rent-a-Schnorer" organization cost any more than the Traveling Israeli? Certainly the roshi yeshivot (heads of talmudic academies) would be able to spend more time doing what they are supposed to be doing - managing the yeshivot they head.

But there's another way !

I didn't think about it until I clicked on a link on a Jewish Press page. The link took me to https://www.meirpanim.org/campaign/2013/pesach/.


The link took to me the American Friends of Meir Panim. The organization's raision d'etre is "fighting poverty in Israel"; it says so right on the Web page.

I don't know how much the Web page cost the American Friends etc.; very likely it was designed and coded gratis by a Friend. I suspect the host for the Friends' site either offers it free or a Friend funds it - I had a site that cost me $60/year so it is NOT an expensive operation- and that the link was donated by the Jewish Press. I also suspect that the Jewish Press link is but one of many links to the Friends' contribution page.

The page allows donors to contribute via the Internet. It also provides a telephone number for people who don't trust the Internet. There even is a physical address where donors may send checks marked "For Deposit Only" to assure the funds go where they are needed.

The Friends' site accepts the Big 4 in credit cards plus PayPal.

I am NOT suggesting that the American Friends of Meir Panim is the only organization that helps the needy in Israel; I know of many other legitimate organizations, some providing general assistance and others with specific constituencies.

What I AM suggesting is that other fund raising organizations can get much more "bang for their buck" following the lead (leed) of the American Friends of Meir Panim.

Imagine a schnorer going to my small congregation and collecting - maybe - $10 or $20.

Now, look at the Friends' site. Donors are encouraged to give at least $72 - each. The Friends of course will accept lesser amounts or amounts not listed (all multiples of חי save for $500, $1,000, and $10,000 levels). Want to gibe $18? Go ahead. How about $151? A good Sefardi number; click on the Other box and enter $151.

I have a young friend whose father is a rosh yeshiva in Israel. His father has a Web site and he uses it for many things, including fund raising.

I subscribe to a number of rabbis' emailings - all from time to time appeal for funds.

Yes, there can be overhead - there always is overhead, but it may be covered by one or two primary donors - but given the Return On Investment (ROI), and that's what it SHOULD be all about , Schnoring the Electronic Way is the only sensible, cost-effective way to solicit funds.

Schnorers still can make direct appeals to congregational leaders - send an email with the relevant documents attached. The leadership then can recommend that the congregants consider donating to the cause.

Final thought. When considering giving to an organization, remember that there are needy in our own communities. We need - we must - attend to their needs first, and then help the needy elsewhere. Look for a local food bank; check with your congregation, the JCC, and the Federation; find out how you can help those in your community. It's not charity, it's an obligation.