Monday, December 3, 2012

International airports?

 

I've had the pleasure of cooling my heels in a number of "international" airports.

Since flights into and out of the host country were to other countries, and since, in the U.S., the presence of U.S. Customs (and Border Patrol) automatically designates an airport as "international" I can say I've been in a few such fields.

But I have been in only one truly international airport and that one is in Detroit Michigan.

The last time I flew out of Lod, Israel's international air gateway, I listened as flights were called in Hebrew and English.

My gate was previously used by Alitalia, an Italian carrier. I asked the girls at the check-in counter if any of them spoke Italian. Answer: No. English and Hebrew.

As I waited for my flight, I listened to calls to board a LOT flight to Poland. All announcements were made in Hebrew and English, not Polish.

But Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport- that's another matter.

Detroit is a major hub - or was a major hub - of the airline once known as Northwest. (It has since become part of Delta.)

As I waited for my flight I heard announcements in several languages of the Far East. Announcements also may have been - they didn't catch my attention - in Spanish as well. English is a "given."

At Miami International and Hollywood-Fort Lauderdale International (which actually is located in Dania Beach), I hear announcements made only in English and Spanish.

Since most travelers passing through Miami and Hollywood-Fort Lauderdale airports are coming from or going to Spanish-speaking countries, there is not much call for other languages. But, there are enough people from Europe, Israel, and now the Far east to warrant announcements in other languages, at least when calling flights for those countries' national carriers and code shares.

For my money, of all the "international" airports I have visited, and there have been a few, only Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport deserves the title "international" airport.