Sunday, December 5, 2010

Two thoughts - Hallel and Atheists

 

Hallel

It's a funny thing.

During the intermediate days of Pesach and Sukkot we recite an abridged Hallel, commonly known as "hetzi Hallel."

During the 8 days of Hanukah we recite the full Hallel every day.

Pesach and Sukkot are Torah-ordained holidays.

Hanukah is strictly rabbinical.

Both Pesach and Hanukah are "freedom" holidays. Pesach recalls our freedom from Egyptian slavery and Hanukah our freedom from Syrian-Greek rule.

So why full Hallel for all eight days of Hanukah?

I'm not a rabbi and I don't play one on tv, but I would guess that we say the full Hallel on all days of Hanukah because there are no "intermediate" days.

Pesach and Sukkot have first and last days - how many "first and last days" depends upon your residence address or level of observance - Israeli's temporarily outside of Israel celebrate the holidays "as if" they were in Israel.

Hanukah runs from Day 1 to Day 8 as a single event - no intermediate days.

Since there are no "intermediate" days, we recite the full Hallel as we do on Pesach's and Sukkot's first and last days.

Atheists

I saw on the tv this morning a blurb about atheists waging a sign-board war on religion, taking some swipes at religion in general during a time when one fragmented religion is in its holiday season.

I have nothing against atheists; I think they are mistaken and I'm concerned that there are not moral guideposts for them, but then I think about all the folks with religious guideposts who burn people - usually Jews - at the stake or send them to gas chambers or otherwise maim and murder people who believe differently so who's to say a "moral guidepost" has any value anyway.

What got me thinking was the reaction of some of the folks whose religious outlook was targeted by the atheists.

Many reacted as if they were afraid that the atheists' advertising campaign would impact THEIR belief.

If the "religious" are so concerned, it suggests to me that their confidence in their brand of religion may be a little shaky; do they really have faith in their faith?

The atheists claim they just are trying to (a) make people think and (b) encourage like-minded people to "come out of the closet." There even was a hint that atheists will band together to seek anti-discrimination legislation.

An aside: This scrivener is against all special-group discrimination laws. It should be sufficient to have a law that states - and is enforced - "Discrimination is illegal." Period.

Frankly, the atheists don't bother me. Whether we have "In God We Trust" on our currency or "Under God" in the pledge of allegiance - both of relatively recent vintage - fails to concern me. Prayer in schools and other public places DOES concern me since usually the people most vocal about prayer in such places are willing only to allow prayers to their deity.

I know who I am.

I know what I believe.

I don't discuss religion or politics since such discussions often lead to irresolvable arguments.

The atheists are proclaiming that this is "the season for reason." I agree.

I don't see how any reasonable person can deny the presence of a superior/supreme being, but the absence of such a "force" is the atheists' main point.

Still, I'm amused by the people who feel threatened by the atheists' billboards. Maybe they are not as strong in their religion as they would like their neighbors to think.