Thursday, August 19, 2010

Washington's blinders

 

I sometimes think our elected representatives think everything can be solved with taxpayer dollars.

I sent a fairly detailed post to Florida's junior, and unelected, senator, George LeMieux regarding a way to provide at least "semi-permanent" shelter to thousands of Haitians while removing the blight of empty 20- and 40-foot long cargo containers taking up space at our ports.

Photo by Timothy Schenck

I suggested that the containers, once if not now a drag on the market - it's less expensive to stack them at ports than to return them to their point of manufacture, typically China - could be converted to serve as housing and schools and clinics and any number of other useful structures.

There are several firms in the United States whose business is converting containers to residential and office use.

I told the Charlie Crist appointee where containers were located and I provided some contact information for companies doing conversions.

I thought it was a win (clear out unwanted containers) - win (business for US companies) - win (facilities for Haitians) situation.

My message to the Republican novice senator received an answer today.

The reply talked about government assistance for the Haiti. It talked about tax breaks for people donating funds to Haiti.

It failed to mention containers or housing. Not one word.

I suppose the approach was too simple.

Maybe it didn't cost enough of our tax dollars.

To his credit, his staff DID respond to my suggestion. Other Florida politicians failed to do even that much.

Sadly, it appears that the aide who checks incoming mail saw the word "Haiti" and put it into the "Send Haiti reply" queue.

I didn't vote for Mr. LeMieux and, based on his response, I'm certain I'll vote for his opponent if he decides to take his chances with an election. (His amazing rise-to-power official biography is at http://lemieux.senate.gov/public/?p=Biography.)

The people DO have a voice.

The trouble is, no one is listening.

 

COMMENTS ARE WELCOME in English or Hebrew; all others will be deleted.

Yohanon Glenn


Yohanon.Glenn at gmail dot com