Friday, July 18, 2008

Of "gooder grammer"

I have a couple of email addresses.

For the most part, the hosts do a pretty good job of identifying spam and isolating it.

Sometimes - most of the time - I trust the host and delete the spam folder contents without checking it.

But sometimes, just to be sure the host isn't dumping desired mail into the spam folder, I check it myself.

Which I did today.

I am left wondering how anyone could be conned into some of the things that appear in their mail box.

I give you the following subject lines as examples:


Cheap price Degree/Bacheelor/MasteerMBA/PhDD certificate

I want sale you rolex . Do you want one?

SOLD OUT -- -Gucci or Louis Vuitton products

SOLD OUT -- - I Selling Rolexes and other watches? DO uou want?


The one selling degrees caught my eye first - OK, it was at the top of the list.

Whoever created the subject line had stuttering fingers. BacheElor/MasteErMBC/PhDD. And what, pray, is a PhD "certificate." (I'm sure it is "suitable for framing.")

Grammar seems to be too much of a bother for many spammers.

"I want sale you rolex." If the initial "I" had been lower case, I might think this was a message from Don Marquis' pal, Archie (the cockroach), save that Archie used "gooder grammer."

I always am amused by SOLD OUT screamers.

If the item is sold out, why bother me?

That's akin to seeing gasoline advertised on the tube for $1.99/gallon (remember when we thought that was outrageous?). When you pull into the station the price on the pump is $3.99 (alas, now considered a "good" price). Go into the office (if you can) and complain "I want $1.99/gallon gas." The attendant, if he or she can comprehend your obviously ludicrous request, will tell you "go buy the gas from your tv."

Granted, I went to "grammar" school when Hector was a pup, and I know things have changed over the years, but good grief, are idiots "educating" our young? Are our young incapable of learning and applying basic English skills? Are French speakers equally ill-prepared to communicate?

It's one thing to create a minor grammar faux pas, e.g., subject:number errors, but some of the subject lines that violate our vision are beyond laughable; they are pathetic.

Life in the fast lane.

Yohanon
Yohanon.Glenn @ gmail.com

No comments: